Pages

10:00 am

THIS IS MY CITY | Estelle's Melbourne

Good old Melbourne. City of artists and culture (and food!) and museums and fashion (and really really good food!) and coffee and laneways (and excellent, mouth-watering food!). We've always loved Melbourne's creative instincts and vibrancy, and only wish we got to spend more time there. One lucky girl who lives in Melbourne is Estelle Dévé, talented jewellery designer and lovely thing with excellent taste. Her molten creations are both futuristic and archaeological, informed by art and history and literature and culture. We knew she would be the perfect person to put together a Melbourne guide for us, and her picks have us dreaming of a little mini-break to the Victorian capital. This is Melbourne, by Estelle.


one. Best thing about Melbourne? This is going to sound cheesy, but.. my boyfriend and the close group of friends I've made along the years. I feel like I could be in the most amazing place, if they weren't around, it wouldn't be worth it. Fun is meant to be shared! That, and the fact that I can find the best Asian, Spanish, Greek and Italian food within any 20 minutes tram ride. 

two. Worst thing about Melbourne? The weather (9 months a year of rain and cold anyone?), and the cuteness overload: if I have to see another knitted tea cosy, pair of clogs or fawn ceramic collection I might have to just give up on life altogether.. 

three. Favourite secret spot? "Shanghai 1930" 959 Whitehorse road, Box Hill.  It's a bit of a trek but best Chinese food ever! My amazing friend Jade (stylist extraordinaire!) took me there for the first time a few weeks ago and were definitely going back soon! Try the Jellyfish, it's amazing! 

four. Favourite everyone-knows-it-but-it's-still-good spot? "Movida", 164 Flinders street, Melbourne. Mom is half Spanish and I've been brought up on Spanish food so this is little a little taste of home. A Melbourne institution: it's in-cre-dible! & "Chin chin" at 125 Flinders Lane, Melbourne. Asian fusion at its best: great food and even more amazing cocktails. Be prepared to wait though, there's no bookings and a never ending flow of hungry people waiting around. 

 Movida - source

five. What is your newest discovery in Melbourne? After all those years, I've finally taken the time (read: been dragged by my friends) to rent a private Karaoke room in the CBD. I have blurry memories of singing 90s R'N'B favourite on top of my lungs, dancing on tables and rolling myself on the floor with laughter. We have nothing like this in France and I have to admit: it is a lot of fun. My favourite so far has been "K-Box" 52 LaTrobe street, Melbourne. What about somewhere you've been going since forever but can't quite give up? "Mixed Business", 486 Queens Parade, Clifton Hill Breakfast is easily my favourite meal of the day and even though I've been there hundreds of times, this place is always going to be my favourite. Try the Potato and Rosemary rosti with poached eggs. It's a winning combo. While you're waiting for a table, check out the florist next door, they always have the most amazing things.. 

six. Where is the best place for.... morning coffee? meal with friends? romantic rendez-vous? late night drink? even later-night boogie? There's plenty of good coffee in Melbourne and I find it hard to to pick a favourite. However, if I feel like something different I'll go get amazing green tea and Japanese breakfast at "Cibi" 45 Keele street, Collingwood. Or I'll get the perfect hot chocolate at "Monsieur Truffe", 351 Lygon street, Brunswick East, round the corner from my house. For a meal with friends I like "Gorski and Jones" 304 Smith street, Collingwood. Modern Australian cuisine to share, and a great selection of wine. Definitely one of my all time favourite. Don't forget to try the Kingfish carpaccio! And when my bank account says no, we'll all meet for Char-grilled chicken Pho at "Meekong" 241 Swanston street, Melbourne. The legend says that Bill Clinton had 8 bowls in one sitting there! I'm personally happy with just the one: it's tasty, filling and for $9.50 you won't find better.  For romance you can't go past "Matteos" 533 Brunswick street, Fitzroy north. A pretty fancy looking place, white tablecloth, chandeliers and all.. and still the only place I know where you can get both amazing sashimi, a mind blowing cheese plate and a great bottle of wine, all on the same night. The boyfriend and I went there for our anniversary and we had an amazing night. "Cutler and co" 55-57 Gertrude st, Fitzroy. Did anyone say cocktails and dessert? For dancing.... At the risk of sounding pretty old, I don't think I've truly enjoyed a night out in a club for a while.. I feel like Melbourne is more of a house/street party city anyway.. Put a disco ball in your living room, some 90s hip hop and I'm all yours! 

 Cibi - source

seven. Where are Melbourne's style spots? Where is the best shopping? There again, I tend to shop a lot more when I'm away on holidays or in a different city, so I probably wouldn't be the best a recommending stores in Melbourne. I do A LOT of online shopping (to fulfill my Dries Van Noten addiction) or buy stuff from Acne as it's just easy.. However when I find a little bit of spare time, I try to check out Incu and Green With Envy. They've both been supporters of my label for years and are carrying a plethora of brands I enjoy. 

eight. What is something you can get/read/experience/eat that you can only do in your Melbourne? Go to Fritz gelato and have the best hot cross bun ice cream you could ever dream of.

 nine. You can tell a lot about a city from their airport. Describe yours. All you need to know is: Cafe Vue lunch boxes at the International terminal. Best. Plane food. Ever "Cafe Vue", Tullamarine Airport, Terminal 2.

ten. How would you describe Melbourne to someone who has never been there before? 4-seasons-in-one-day-food-capital-city.

Melbourne's charm - Tuula

Benah's This Is My City guides:
SHARE:
Blogger Template Made By pipdig