Pages

9:31 am

THIS IS MY CITY | Dee's New York

New York. New York, New York. Concrete jungle where dreams are made. The city of Carrie Bradshaw and Woody Allen, the city of Broadway and the Met and the Knicks and Law and Order. Style city, sporting city, artistic city, literary city, cinematic city, musical city. It has it all, really. And who better to write an insider's guide but our friend Dee, recently relocated to the big smoke.

photo by Dee, who says of the image: "Ok so I got sent this image last night which is pretty good. It's fleet week in NYC and obviously I'm the first  to steal some form of hat attire from someone."

one. Best thing about New York? Stoop parties and rooftops.

two. Worst thing about New York? Street garbage and rats 

three. Favourite secret spot? Any speak easy bar in the city, they're hidden all over. 

four. Favourite everyone-knows-it-but-it's-still-good spot? Lovely Day, it's on Elizabeth Street in Nolita. I'm seriously obsessed with the food there. The vibe is chilled, your guaranteed to run into a bunch of rad people you know. If you want some good food and atmosphere, anyone coming to new york should try it. The ginger chicken and the flour less chocolate cake are my favorites!

Lovely Day - source

 five. What is your newest discovery in New York? What about somewhere you've been going since forever but can't quite give up? There's a theater a couple blocks from my apartment, they play midnight films a couple times a month. I'm addicted to going. The last movie I watched was Spike Lee's 'Do the Right Thing' I love being able to do that in the middle of the night. I have a weekend activity with a friend of mine that I don't think I'll be able to give up any time soon. We call it 'bench time'. There's a cupcake shop on the corner of Prince & Mott . We sit on the benches outside and just people watch. We literally sit there for hours. Factoring in 'bench time' is a weekend must. We drink tea, talk about nothing and laugh. Last week we saw Jude Law & his kids, I don't think I'll be able to give that up any time soon. 

six. Where is the best place for.... morning coffee? meal with friends? romantic rendez-vous? late night drink? even later-night boogie? I'm a big coffee drinker so I've narrowed it down to a few good spots (NYC doesn't have great coffee) my inside scoop would be Ground Support (W Broadway & Spring, Soho), Saturdays (Crosby Street, Soho), and Smile To Go (Howard Street, Soho) I'm obsessing over this vegan thai place called Wild Ginger (Broome St, Nolita) I eat there a lot with friends. Its a cool little spot, every time I eat in there they are always playing Cat Power. Romantic rendez-vous would be Bianca, a little italian restaurant on Bleecker. Its low lit, cheap but delicious food, like nona is cooking in the kitchen. Late night drink for me is always ending up somewhere fun, the last late night drink i had i ended up at The Box (Chrystie Street), somewhere everyone should go to when they come to New York. An even later night boogie would be Bedlam (East Village) I go there with my gay boyfie.. 

seven. Where are New Yorks style spots? Where is the best shopping? Williamsburg is a huge style spot! I like to call it babetown. Your guaranteed to find a cute hipster in BK skating through the streets rocking a cap and a coffee. I like to do all my shopping in one spot. So I would say Soho, plus some of my favorite designers have stores down there, Rag & Bone, Alexander Wang, Isabel Marant, Helmut Lang, Acne is just opening up in a bigger location (so excited), plus Opening Ceremony is there too! Literally all a few blocks away from each other


eight. What is something you can get/read/experience/eat that you can only do in New York? Be prepared to write cheques, get given cheques, pay in cheques, cheques cheques cheques, yes were living in the 80s! You've also gotta experience a Yankee game, buy a Derek Jeter jersey, a hot dog, sit in the bleachers and waste your day watching a game in the sun. And street meat, you can't come to New York and not try at least one 99c hot dog from the street meat guy on your corner. 

 nine. You can tell a lot about a city from their airport. Describe yours. Well I can't say I know much about it really, I arrived in New York, had never been here before.. and haven't left since. 

ten. How would you describe your city to someone who has never been there before? Grimy, zing, KAPOW! 

New York, New York - capture the castle

Benah's This Is My City guides:
SHARE:
Blogger Template Made By pipdig